Function of Belief System
We all grew up with our own sets of belief systems. These belief systems have been inherited from our family which stem from our origin, culture, and ethnicity. The function of the belief system is to ingrain a strong foundation in us. It is used to represent who we are and where we were from. In fact, these beliefs have direct impact on our thoughts and behaviors in everyday life.
Differentiation of Self
When we start restoring our healthy true self, the belief system we have learned and established may cause conflict in us. Are you able to have self differentiation? Differentiation of self means your ability to separate between feelings and thoughts in handling difficult circumstances especially in relationships. Do these thoughts derive from your belief system? Are these beliefs still workable in your stage of life and situation? An important question to ask yourself is are you able to recognize the triggers of these feelings and how they are connected to your belief system? The value of having ability to self differentiate is a sign of emotional maturity. Let’s explore our belief system in the month of April.
- Have you ever questioned your belief system?
- Does your belief system still serve you well today?
- Are there any belief systems you have had that have created a positive impact on you today? Examples?
- What are the belief systems you have that causes conflict in your life today?
- Are you able to recognize any particular belief systems that have had a positive impact in your life today?
- Are you able to recognize any particular belief systems that have had a negative impact in you?